Firmware Systems Engineer
As an electronics firmware engineer at Aquila, you will be responsible for two domains:
First, implementing a fast and performant control suite for the exemplary steering targeting system. With support from the team in delivering a light-speed optical targeting signal, the role involves interfacing, controlling, and actuating the real-time fine steering system to target a drone at 1km.
Second, programming the receiver firmware systems to communicate with the ground (sunflower) and roughly aim the drone-mounted gimbal (suncave) to the ground laser turret (sunflower). Utilising off-the-shelf RTK and radio solutions and modified off-the-shelf gimbal solutions to optimise development time. This role involves reliably transmitting critical data to the ground via radio.
Your work will be critical in trailblazing an unprecedented wireless energy networking platform—an "internet of energy"—to power an unlimited future.
The role spans all design aspects, from requirements definition through learning, design, implementation, and automated testing of PCB (or FPGA if required) boards and their firmware routines and implementing cutting-edge control algorithms in performant low-level software.
Who we're looking for
Aquila seeks a highly skilled electronics firmware engineer to join our team. Successful candidates will
- Self-teach and learn on the job. We are doing something entirely new, so we must find out together and learn.
- Bring new technical insights and best practices from the industry into the company to help us learn.
- Contribute to the high-level systems architecture and ensure development carries out the architectural vision.
- Relentlessly developed end-to-end solutions for fast and performant electronics, firmware, and complex control theory problems.
- Maintain high levels of communication with our team concerning product requirements, timelines, risks, and priorities.
- Collaborate with our team to interface (or develop) these solutions into an overlaying Ligthway energy networking platform.
Control system engineering
- Low-level programming (C/C++)
- Electronics development
- Firmware development
- Firmware test execution and automation with CI/CD best practices
- Implementing modern C++ in an embedded environment
- Software version control with best practice Git
We love candidates with the following qualifications/aptitudes. Still, you don't need to meet them all—if you have a strong work ethic and a voracious hunger to solve first-class problems through developing world-class technology, we want you on our team.
- A proven ability to produce complex firmware for embedded, including debugging and testing, with or without an RTOS leveraging demonstrated proficiency in low-level STM32 programming and encompassing expertise in bare-metal coding.
- Familiar with many of the following parts interacting with them from a firmware context: ADCs, DACs, OpAmps, power supplies (linear, LDO, DC/DC), FPGAs, microcontrollers, processors, memory and MOSFETs
- Knowledge of standard communication methods such as RS232, RS422, I2C, SPI, LVDS, Ethernet, CAN or PCIe and interfacing Jetson Orin Nano Development hardware
- Hardware debugging virtuosity; familiarity with oscilloscope and logic analyser tools.
- Experience with writing software for safety-critical embedded systems.
- Developing requirements in coordination with systems engineering, hardware engineering, software engineering and subsystem owners