Senior Electronics Engineer
Senior Electronics Engineer
An exciting position has arisen in our Electronics Design team for a Senior Electronics Engineer to join our fast-growing, NZ-based, start-up!
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a real difference in your next role?
At Basis, our purpose is to radically accelerate the clean-energy revolution - starting with smarter, safer, and more efficient homes. We’re focused on improving experiences for people through the application of technology, data, and a deep understanding of human behaviour.
Basis is driven by purpose, real innovation, and ambition. We have a talented team spread across New Zealand, with a creative space by the beach in Takapuna, and a Design Lab in Christchurch where our physical products come to life.
We recently closed our Series A capital raise, so we're well-funded and ready to grow. Our team is smart, curious and has some big goals - so if you’re interested in joining a fast-growing and startup that is design-led and puts people at its core, then we’d love to hear from you!
We're also currently in stealth mode, but don't worry we'll share more with you during the recruitment process 😁!
As our team expands, and we get closer to bringing our product to market we have identified the need for an additional Senior Electronics Engineer to join our hardware team in Christchurch. As a senior electronics designer, you will be responsible for creating, reviewing and updating schematics, PCB layouts, test plans and architecture diagrams for electronic circuits.
Some of the things that you might be involved in include:
- Topology and Component selection and simulation
- Schematics Capture: Creating and updating schematics for new & existing designs
- PCB Layout: Creating and updating circuit board layouts in CAD to meet internal design standards as well as regulatory requirements
- CAD Library: Creating, updating and maintaining schematic symbols, PCB footprints & bill of materials
- DFM and DFR: Ensuring our designs meet a high standard for reliability and working with contract manufacturers to ensure our designs meet a high standard of manufacturability
- Peer reviews: Arranging and participating in design peer reviews with other engineers and Engineering leads
- Mentoring: Leveraging industry experience to assist with training, onboarding and career growth of junior engineers
- Compliance Analysis: Analysis of standards and design of the product to meet them e.g. PCB creepages & clearances
- PCB fab-out process: Maintaining and refining the fab-out process for sending PCB designs to manufacturers
Working in a start-up is extremely rewarding, with no two days being the same and getting to see products built at exceptional speed. Basis boasts a highly iterative culture, where we aim to "fail fast" so we can learn quickly and apply those learnings to our next product.
Being at a senior level, you will have demonstrated extensive experience in developing electronic products through the product lifecycle from concept through to market. You will be someone who draws upon their vast experience to set, raise and enforce high standards of quality and rigour in Basis’ designs. You will have a working knowledge of implementing appropriate creepages and clearances on PCBs.
We think you’ll be a fit for this role if you have the following skills or experience:
- B.E. (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (or similar)
- Around 10+ Years of commercial experience, ideally in the Product Development field or adjacent fields such as Engineering, Design and Technology
- An understanding of Product Development and its principles, including development lifecycles and commercialisation
- Ability to lead the way and establish best practices and clear processes for how we release hardware designs
- Experience designing circuits that operate at hundreds of volts, ideally 230V mains-connected
- A growth mindset - a lifelong learner who thrives in a fast-paced environment
Some nice-to-haves include:
- An ideal candidate will have some experience designing flexible circuit boards
- Previous experience working in a start-up is highly desirable, but not essential
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet ~ 60% of the job criteria, women and other marginalised groups tend to apply only when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but are not sure you check every box, we still want to hear from you 🙌
- A competitive salary and employee share scheme (ESOP)
- A remote-friendly culture - work from home or come into the office, it's totally up to you
- Unlimited annual leave so that you can take the time that you need to re-energise
- Tools of trade, including laptop and headphones, and we also pay your phone bill!
- Flexible hours - we focus on effort and outcomes, so adjust your hours around your children, hobbies, or other commitments
- A schedule of fun team events throughout the year
- Office dogs
- Access to Clearhead, our well-being programme which gives you 5x free sessions with a psychologist per year
- A $200 one-off payment towards your home workstation
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion: Pride Committee, DEIB Committee, EEO Policy and well-being strategy!
- Parental leave policy that tops up wages to 100% for the primary caregiver for up to 22 weeks (conditions apply)
- The opportunity to learn and develop from some of the best and brightest minds in the industry!
- Remote status