Senior Mechatronic/ Mechanical Engineer
EnergyBank is an early-stage start-up seeking high performing, pioneering and enthusiastic spirits to drive the rapid growth that we must achieve.
We are looking for a senior engineer to join us in the development of our deep-sea energy storage systems. You will be assisting with the successful conceptual development, prototyping, and testing of devices including a deep-sea mass handling system and an ultra-low-wear traction system. You will be based within our workshop spaces at Outset Ventures in Parnell, Auckland.
This role will include mentoring and guidance of less experienced engineers working on the project.
Building a thriving, diverse team is our priority, so even if you think you might not exactly meet our requirements, we would still appreciate your application—we are hiring for many roles over the next few months.
EnergyBank was founded to capitalise on the opportunity of a lifetime while also accelerating society's decarbonisation. To do this, we are developing the next generation of energy storage technology.
Energy storage boosts the value of renewables by creating artificial demand during periods of renewable oversupply. Storage then displaces fossil-fuelled generation by supplying that energy back to the grid during renewable supply shortages.
Our technology works by moving multiple thousand-tonne masses back and forth between the ocean floor and its surface over vertical distances of between four and eight kilometres. This process leverages the depth of the ocean and gravitational potential to store energy with radically improved economics.
To achieve our mission, EnergyBank has been joined by five venture capital funds that have supported success stories like Coinbase, RocketLab and Canva. So, if you are a collaborative, high performer with a passion for innovative problem solving, we would love for you to join us as well!
At EnergyBank everything we do is framed through our values. We continuously work to hold them front of mind. They are not static, and we continually refine them as a team.
🦸 We’re here for the gnarly and the novel. We are lifelong explorers—constantly embracing new adventures, challenges, and radically creative solutions. Our engineering process leverages this mindset to develop inspiring designs.
🤝🏾 Together we strive, together we thrive. At EnergyBank we foster collaboration by working hard to build respect, diversity, and trust. We strive to enhance the wellbeing of our team, the environment, and the communities in which we work and live.
🦋 We find beauty in integrity. We operate with a core of integrity, equity, and transparency—even when this is difficult.
- Through highs and lows, maintain a lightness in step, a fullness in heart, and a focus in resolve.
- Are comfortable breaking down and solving complex problems while keeping original goals in mind.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism and have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Promote the best solutions regardless of their origin.
- Enjoy wearing multiple hats and having a variety of tasks.
- Are comfortable at a desk or in a workshop.
- Have a powerful desire for personal development and growth.
- Thrive in a fast-moving environment.
- Irrespective of ongoing success or failure, default to collaboration.
Working with the senior leadership team, you will be responsible for helping prove the feasibility of a novel energy storage system. This will involve:
- Conceptual research and design of prototype electromechanical assemblies.
- Detailed design of prototype assemblies and test equipment.
- Manufacturing planning and creation of prototype production packages.
- Management of prototype manufacture, assembly, and testing.
- Technical report writing on the results of all of the above.
- Peer mentoring of graduate engineers.
Skills and Experience
We are looking for people who, alongside a relevant professional degree, have experience with most of the following:
- Control systems design and analysis.
- Electromechanical design and prototyping.
- Experience specifying, selecting, and controlling motors.
- General workshop skills.
- Parametric CAD design.
- Technical communication (written & oral).
- Structured design processes.
Salary negotiable on experience – expected to be $100k+
All employees are also included in our Employee Stock Ownership Programme.
Does this sound like you?
Fantastic, you are a rare gem. We would appreciate you taking the time to apply by completing the questionnaire here.