Head of Engineering
Formus Labs is developing groundbreaking software solutions to improve joint replacement surgery (recognised with two NZ high-tech awards in 2023). Our cloud-based platform is a world-first in employing state-of-the-art biomechanics and AI to help surgeons create optimal surgical plans for each individual patient. Our technology has already empowered surgeons and global orthopedic companies to provide best-in-class joint-replacement surgery to thousands of patients.
Spun out from the world-renowned Auckland Bioengineering Institute, we are a dynamic startup with a highly talented team from a diverse set of personal and professional backgrounds.
Role & responsibilities
We are looking for a proven hands-on tech leader based in Auckland, with a track record of leading successful engineering teams and delivering great products for customers. And with the extension of a significant partnership agreement and the release of new products, we believe we’re at an inflexion point in the evolution of the company.
So we need someone who’s excited about leading this team of high-performing engineers (including AI specialists & algorithm engineers) to deliver on this, while pitching in at the coal-face when it’s needed. They’ll need to be someone capable of winning the hearts and minds of that team.
Finally we’re also looking for someone capable of exemplifying the Formus values, and passionate about making ground-breaking improvements to patient outcomes.
For the right candidate, we’ll offer:
- A competitive salary
- Great stock options package
- Full health insurance for you & your immediate family
- Flexible, hybrid working environment
- Generous parental leave entitlements for both the primary and secondary caregiver.
- The potential to make a real difference to patients’ lives.
Here’s a bit more detail.
- Setting and maintaining the tech strategy, and reporting progress against KPIs
- Ownership of the overall tech stack, ensuring what we have is relevant and fit-for-purpose (current platform is Typescript single-page app frontend, with 3JS for 3D visualization, Python backend with a Django API, Terraform for infrastructure as code deployment on Google Cloud)
- Technical leadership of the engineering practice, including architecture, security etc.
- Working hand-in-glove with the Product Lead to develop the product roadmap, and ensure its timely delivery
- Continuous improvement of our agile product development processes, including the (relatively recent) advent of cross-functional squads and sprints.
- Continuing to develop a DevOps mindset, ensuring ongoing operational support of our products
- Working with the Quality & Regulatory Manager to ensure we meet necessary QMS & regulatory requirements (through appropriate documentation, observation of policies etc.)
- Management of tech budget within agreed parameters
- Hiring, growing & retaining the best available engineering talent
- As a key member of the leadership team, advocate for engineers and provide a technical perspective in top level discussions
- 10+ years experience
- Software engineer by trade
- Led engineering teams (both technical & people leadership)
- Experience in product-driven tech or SaaS company
- A background in medical or health software and/or experience with interactive 3D graphics would be highly advantageous
- Earthy, hands-on leader who’s not afraid to do some of the doing
- A servant-style leader, who knows when to empower the team but isn’t afraid to make the tough calls
- Happy to selflessly pitch in, and contribute as part of the broader leadership team
- Strong focus on timely delivery
- Great communication skills. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative, and relying on jargon.
- Great organisational skills, capable of juggling multiple balls without dropping things
- Results driven, and happy to have the performance of them & their team measured
- Growth mind-set. Understands that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work.
- A good human, with impeccable ethics, and fun to work with
Potential screening questions:
- Are you an NZ resident or do you have the right to work in NZ?
- Are you based in Auckland (or prepared to move to Auckland)?
- How many years of people management experience do you have? (minimum 4)