Auckland, New Zealand
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2023
The future of food production hinges on an important question: How do we feed the world’s growing population without compromising our natural resources? Farmers feed our population and hold the keys to vital climate solutions. At Halter, we’re on a mission to enable farmers to run the most productive and sustainable farms. Farmers are using Halter to break free from the time-intensive constraints of conventional farming. They’re growing more grass, increasing production and improving the health and wellbeing of their cattle.
We bridge deep tech into farming. Halter enables farmers to remotely shift, virtually fence and proactively monitor their cows’ health and behaviour. Can you imagine watching 500 dairy cows turn in unison and walk calmly towards the milking shed? Or beef cattle, behind virtual fences, happily grazing with their calves? No quad bikes, no dogs, no fences. Just a mob of cows walking at their own pace. People say it looks like magic. Our customers are revolutionizing farming with Halter. It's changing lives and transforming an industry.
People join Halter because they want to do meaningful work. By joining us you’ll be solving challenging problems within a talented team and a culture built for high performance. Our team out-think, out-work and out-care. We’re committed to delivering real change in the world - this isn’t easy, and in truth, we love that it’s hard. We’re backed to deliver on a mission that matters by Tier 1 investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, DCVC, Blackbird, Promus Ventures, Rocket Lab’s Peter Beck and Icehouse ventures.
About the role
Halter is on the lookout for a passionate, energetic and customer-focused Accounts Administrator to join our team. Reporting to Alex Sissons, our Financial Controller, you will be responsible for providing administrative support to the Finance team, including processing invoices, managing accounts receivable and accounts payable, and ensuring the accuracy and completeness of financial records.
This is not a typical Accounts Administrator position. We’re looking for someone who is truly passionate about our customers and technology. Our finance function is different at Halter. We look to partner with our customers, internal stakeholders and team members to provide a strong business relationship. One of our values is farmers first, animals always and we put our customers at the forefront of what we do here at Halter, including how we do finance.
What your day could look like
- Manage accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Process invoice queries and ensure the accuracy of information
- Reconcile financial records and bank statements
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports
- Maintain accurate records of financial transactions, and employee expenses, and conduct debtor management
- Assist with budget preparation, monitoring, and new account reference checks
- Provide support to other members of the accounts department as needed
- End-of-month closure tasks
Who are we looking for
- Experience in an accounts role OR if you’re a curious finance/accounting graduate who is genuinely interested in finance and you would consider yourself very comfortable with numbers.
- A bachelor of commerce majoring in accounting
- A strong customer focus and a positive attitude. You get excited about building relationships with our customers (farmers).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working in a high-volume environment. We’re looking for someone who has the ability to manage time efficiently and prioritise the tasks at hand.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of accounting software such as QuickBooks or Xero would be nice to have
Why our team loves working at Halter
- A genuine and shared connection to our mission to make a difference in the world.
- The excitement, risk, and reward of a high-growth technology scale-up.
- The pride of joining an iconic New Zealand technology company growing successfully on the global stage.
- The opportunity to work with and grow together with an enthusiastic, and highly gifted team with diverse backgrounds.
- The opportunity to supercharge your career in a supportive and caring environment.
- Our ideas are truly valued, we are able to move fast, and our impact is real.
- State-of-the-art, dog-friendly office that’s been thoughtfully designed right in the heart of Auckland city.
- Delicious snacks and drinks are available for your daily flow.
- Healthy body, healthy mind. We’re partnered with Southern Cross Health Insurance to support your well-being.
- We offer 6 months of fully paid parental leave for primary caregivers, 4 weeks of fully paid secondary caregiver leave and many other parental benefits that support you and your family.
- Our personal growth is important. Halter offers an annual $1000 self-development budget to be used for anything that fuels personal growth.
- Our time to recharge is valued, we’re offered wellness leave and unlimited paid annual leave.
- Importantly, we offer an inclusive and attractive remuneration package made up of salary, benefits and an employee stock ownership plan.
Halter is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace — a place where we can each be ourselves and do the best work of our lives. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and under-represented groups of candidates tend to only apply when they meet every requirement. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily tick every requirement on this job description, please still get in touch and apply to Halter. We’d love to chat to see if you’ll be an epic fit!
Our Office First Approach
We do have flexible working hours and you can work from home when you need to but we encourage our team to be in the office as much as you can.
We have an office-first approach because we would like to keep the opportunity for teams to have spontaneous interactions which in turn has allowed our team at Halter to foster strong relationships. Stronger relationships make it easier to disagree, give feedback, do meaningful work and as a result, be higher performing as a team.
This is applicable mainly for our office-based roles rather than on-the-road roles in the Customer Success or Business Development teams.
Join our team
If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply below by sending through your cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this role and working at Halter, along with your CV, and we’ll be in touch!