Senior Backend Engineer
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2023
The future of food production hinges on an important question: How do we feed the world’s growing population without compromising our natural resources? Farmers feed our population and hold the keys to vital climate solutions. At Halter, we’re on a mission to enable farmers to run the most productive and sustainable farms. Farmers are using Halter to break free from the time-intensive constraints of conventional farming. They’re growing more grass, increasing production and improving the health and wellbeing of their cattle.
We bridge deep tech into farming. Halter enables farmers to remotely shift, virtually fence and proactively monitor their cows’ health and behaviour. Can you imagine watching 500 dairy cows turn in unison and walk calmly towards the milking shed? Or beef cattle, behind virtual fences, happily grazing with their calves? No quad bikes, no dogs, no fences. Just a mob of cows walking at their own pace. People say it looks like magic. Our customers are revolutionizing farming with Halter. It's changing lives and transforming an industry.
People join Halter because they want to do meaningful work. By joining us you’ll be solving challenging problems within a talented team and a culture built for high performance. Our team out-think, out-work and out-care. We’re committed to delivering real change in the world - this isn’t easy, and in truth, we love that it’s hard. We’re backed to deliver on a mission that matters by Tier 1 investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, DCVC, Blackbird, Promus Ventures, Rocket Lab’s Peter Beck and Icehouse ventures.
About the role
At Halter, we work at the interface where software meets firmware meets hardware underpinned by deep data to transform and improve what our customers (farmers) have been doing for centuries. This space is challenging and intellectually stimulating. We're just scratching the surface.
We are looking for a talented Backend Software Engineer who is hungry to make an impact on the world; people from all backgrounds who can continue to make our team greater than the sum of its parts. We’re looking for people who are comfortable working in a passionate, enthusiastic environment where you will need to be able to learn quickly and use your own initiative while working under pressure and to tight deadlines. We embrace learning, we strive to help and support each other to succeed, and we will help you make this the best job you’ll ever have.
What your day could look like
- Hands-on development delivering tested and reliable software through to production
- Work with other software engineers and product specialists as part of a cross-functional agile team, contributing to your teammates’ results, encouraging cross-pollination of roles, stretching the team to continuously inspect and improve, and encouraging collaboration and task sharing
- Maintain high levels of communication with your team and others about product requirements, timelines, risks, and priorities
- Join your teammates in ensuring your systems are always available and responsive, as part of our on-call roster, following good reliability engineering practices
- Stay up-to-date with your area of expertise and ensure the team is aware of new technological advances and better ways of working
- Promote best practices and new technologies among your peers to help nurture a world-class engineering culture
- And finally, this is a start-up, so you’ll also be rolling your sleeves up and helping with whatever is desired to succeed in our mission, knowing that your whole organisation is with you doing the same
What we’re looking for
- An excellent track record working as a backend software engineer, with examples of outcomes that you have accomplished and feel meaningful for you
- Experience working with modern cloud-based distributed systems (especially in the AWS context)
- Experience working in agile development practice, in a cross-functional development team
- Someone who is product-oriented and cares deeply about customer experience, being able to solve real-life customer problems
- Experience working with Java, Kotlin, or Typescript, or a proven history of being able to adapt quickly to learn new technologies
- Sound understanding of how to develop testable systems and write great automated tests
- Understanding of common development processes such as version control, continuous integration/delivery, code reviews, and pair programming
Why our team loves working at Halter ❤️
- Dedicate yourself to solving real-world problems alongside an epic team in a culture designed around growth.
- A genuine and shared connection to our mission to make a difference in the world.
- The pride of joining an iconic New Zealand technology company. The excitement, risk, and reward of a high-growth technology scale-up on the global stage.
- Our ideas are truly valued, we are able to move fast, and our impact is real.
- State-of-the-art, dog-friendly office that’s been thoughtfully designed right in the heart of Auckland city. Did we mention dogs and cows?
- Healthy body, healthy mind. We’re partnered with Southern Cross Health Insurance to support your well-being.
- We offer 6 months of fully paid parental leave for primary caregivers, 4 weeks of fully paid secondary caregiver leave and many other parental benefits that support you and your family.
- Our personal growth is important. Halter offers an annual $1000 self-development budget to be used for anything that fuels personal growth.
- Our time to recharge is valued, we’re offered wellness leave and unlimited paid annual leave.
- We offer an inclusive and attractive remuneration package made up of salary, benefits and an employee stock ownership plan.
- Delicious snacks and drinks are available for your daily flow.
Halter is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace — a place where we can each be ourselves and do the best work of our lives. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the requirements, women and under-represented groups of candidates tend to only apply when they meet every requirement. If you think you have what it takes but don’t necessarily tick every requirement on this job description, please still get in touch and apply to Halter. We’d love to chat to see if you’ll be an epic fit!
Our Office First Approach
We do have flexible working hours and you can work from home when you need to but we encourage our team to be in the office as much as you can.
We have an office-first approach because we would like to keep the opportunity for teams to have spontaneous interactions which in turn has allowed our team at Halter to foster strong relationships. Stronger relationships make it easier to disagree, give feedback, do meaningful work and as a result, be higher performing as a team.
This is applicable mainly for our office-based roles rather than on-the-road roles in the Customer Success or Business Development teams.
Join our team
If this opportunity sounds like you, please apply below by sending through your cover letter explaining why you’re excited about this role and working at Halter, along with your CV, and we’ll be in touch!