Software Engineer (Intermediate—Senior)
About Us Helico Bio is a biotech startup envisioning the worldwide accessibility of life-saving medicines. We’re a small, tight-knit group of hard-working scientists and engineers employing both experimental and computational synthetic biology, dedicated to delivering environmentally-friendly, plant-based solutions to bring our vision to reality.In a world where global supply chains of essential medicines are constantly politicised and disrupted, it is crucial that we are able to reach our most vulnerable and remote populations by reducing reliance on factory-based production of pharmaceutical products. Our end-to-end platform technology explores new avenues of synthetic biology design and brings them into living plants which are growable in many different conditions and locations, made possible by our expertise in the physical and life sciences and rigorous adherence to scientific and software development practices.
About the Role Helico is expanding and has opened up an exciting role for a software engineer with a high potential to become one of our core technical leads. Our software platform is built to support the deployment and analysis of complex, resource-intensive computational biology data pipelines, requiring strict adherence to data integrity and scientific reproducibility.As a core software developer, you will play a major role in the maintenance and expansion of existing architecture for data integrity, resource management, and scientific reproducibility, as well as developing features to enhance scientific data analysis. You will also partake in the design of high-performance software across multiple scientific disciplines, from pipelines to analyse large quantities of genetic data down to modules to simulate molecular interactions with atomic precision.This is a rare opportunity to work with a highly multidisciplinary team on developing and deploying globally-competitive, cutting-edge scientific algorithms, and you will have an influential role in our near- and long-term development.This will be a fully on-site role for the first 3 months to work with our lab team and get into our operational schedule, transitioning to a flexible (work from home or on-site) role afterwards.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- Strong fluency in Python 3
- Experience developing software in high-performance, statically-typed, and multi-paradigm languages (C++, Rust)
- Familiarity with git VCS
- Experience with CI/CD development practices
- Experience with SQL-based databases under Python ORM frameworks (SQLAlchemy)
- Experience with Unix-based operating systems, shell scripting, and source compilation
- Experience with tools in data analysis (Pandas/NumPy), visualisation (seaborn, Plotly, Bokeh), and the Jupyter development environment
- Experience with front-end web development
- Customer-first and support-driven attitude, with strong communication skills and experience working with non-software teams
- General scientific literacy, with a BSc in mathematics, statistics, computer science, physical or life sciences, or an equivalent BE Driven to establish, teach, and learn best software development practices and scientific methodology
Benefits and Perks
- Permanent, full-time position in an early-stage company with opportunities to develop into a technical lead
- Work in a small, supportive team with no communicative or administrative hurdles on cutting-edge scientific development
- Casual dress code and flexible working hours
- Located at Outset Ventures (Parnell, Auckland), surrounded by deeptech businesses in every stage of business development
- Variety of eateries, cafés, and a bar within walking distance; unlimited coffee on-site
- Entitlement to our employee share option purchase (ESOP) program
Important Information As on-site work is expected, you must have full eligibility to work in NZ. We will also fully comply with COVID-19 vaccination and business operation guidelines from both the NZ government and Outset Ventures (our current location).
Employer questions Your application will include the following questions:
- Which of the following programming languages are you experienced in?
- How many years' experience do you have in a software development role?
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- How many years' experience do you have in a DevOps role?
- Which of the following Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) are you experienced with?