Senior Legal Counsel
We are looking for an ambitious in-house Senior Legal Counsel to support our mission to be transformative investors in the most transformative companies and to deliver a world-class legal experience to Icehouse Venture stakeholders including colleagues, investors, startups, founders and the broader early-stage venture ecosystem.
About the role:
You will play a pivotal role providing pragmatic, solution-focused legal advice tailored to Icehouse Ventures’ needs on matters relating to all aspects of the regulatory environment, fund raising, investment, portfolio management and day-to-day operations, including:
- Legal due diligence: Supporting the investment team with due diligence on potential investee companies and implementing a standardized approach / framework for due diligence.
- Investment transactions: Drive the legal components/aspects of the investment process from negotiating and signing a term sheet to funds transfer, including reviewing and negotiating investment documentation in an efficient and pragmatic manner.
- Post investment support: Provide hands-on support, introductions, resources and insights to our portfolio companies as part of our portfolio services offering. Creating and running legal related workshops / office hours/ and content that benefit startups.
- Fund formation: Contribute to establishing, launching, and executing on new funds including instructing and managing external counsel in relation to fund establishment and ongoing fund compliance. Supporting team with investor related legal enquiries and creating legal related content benefitting investors
- Regulatory compliance:
- Assist the Operations team with document and process management and compliance matters including those relating to FACTA/CRS, AML/CFT and NZ’s ‘wholesale investor’ regime.
- Assist the Development team with legal issues relating to the investorportal.
- Assist the Marketing team with legal review of marketing materials and communications.
- Supporting the team with other product offerings such as Nominee as a Service, ESOP, co- investment and fund management services.
- Providing internal training sessions.
- Work alongside the rest of the team to deliver exceptional events including Showcase and Demo Day.
- Be a key partner to the early-stage start-up ecosystem with input on standardised investment documentation and attendance at industry events. Contribute to initiatives, thought leadership, and offers that help project the Icehouse Ventures brand and presents it in a unique light.
- Build relationships with, and deliver value to, our investors and founders so they are advocates for our brand and motivated to contribute to our purpose.
We strive to build a team of boundless ambitious “lifers” prioritising alignment to our values over specific experience or skills:
- Ambition – constantly expand what’s possible.
- Ownership – invite accountability. Deliver brilliantly.
- Humility – demonstrate confidence through vulnerability.
- Resilience – persist beyond what’s comfortable.
- Warmth – make others’ lights shine brighter.
Traits we anticipate will help you succeed in the role include:
- a strong attention to detail;
- a desire for a fast-paced environment;
- an ability to efficiently prioritise workload;
- a curiosity to navigate novel challenges and ambiguity;
- discerning judgement, to deliver exceptional and pragmatic legal advice; and
- a strong interest in startups, entrepreneurship, and investment.
Our ideal team-member may also have the following experience:
- 4 or more years post qualification experience;
- a background in corporate and/or commercial law at a leading law firm and/or in-house;
- experience in venture capital investment, fund management and/or technology law; and
- a tertiary qualification in law and a current NZLS practicing certificate.
About Icehouse Ventures:
As Aotearoa’s largest and most active investor in early-stage technology startups, Icehouse Ventures exists to fuel the aspirations of all Kiwis. We have invested >$400m into Kiwi startups since inception.
We foresee a future vastly brighter than imaginable today, and our mission is to be transformative investors in the transformative companies who will realise this vision.